Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Help! We are snowed in

It hasn't stopped snowing here all day. I've shovelled it off the drive twice but it's covered again, and I keep putting food out for the birds and changing their water but it just gets hidden by another layer of snow. The silver birch trees at the bottom of the garden are very pretty, like they have had a dusting of icing sugar, all white and crispy.


I am getting a bit low on food, I could do with going to the supermarket, but it says on the radio not to drive unless it is absolutely necessary. Well looking at my food stocks I suppose I could always have soup or prawns for breakfast, or perhaps runner beans, carrots, and peas would make a change :-) Ha ha, not quite that bad. I have some bran flakes and porridge oats left, but if it carries on like this and I can't get out I will be having some weird and wonderful combinations on my plate.

This has got me thinking about how society would manage if extreme weather conditions became the norm, certainly we would all have to drastically alter our shopping and eating routines. How many would cope if we got snowed in for weeks at a time? Some would panic and stockpile all those familiar items they couldn't live without, ready meals, snack foods, and booze.

Looking at my food stash I could probably live off what I have in for 3 - 4 weeks. My imagination would take over and I would stretch out the ingredients to concoct some strange but wholesome meals. I am not a fussy eater, plain and simple that's me, so I wouldn't be bothered if I had to make a few variations of the same dish.

Imagine the worst case scenario, if no one could get in and out of the village. We have a small mini market/general grocery store, there would soon be queues outside there and the shelves would be stripped. The two pubs would sell out of food, then that's it. Next would be the allotments getting raided. I have some sprouts in my garden so I could eat them, and there is a smallholding down the road where I could get free range eggs, that's if they will have any left. They might have a few winter veg in their poly tunnels as well. I suppose we could all go down to the fishing ponds and the river and try and hook something for tea. And if we were really desperate we could raid the kennels and cattery for any tins of chum or Felix, I believe it is tasted by humans so it can't be that bad.

I have got the usual rice, pasta, and a few tins in the cupboard, and a freezer full of mostly veg, so I will be ok for a while. If this snowing keeps up I am sure my self sufficiency skills will see me through. On second thoughts, maybe I will ring the bus company in the morning to see if the buses are running. It might be wise to get a few more essentials to top up my stocks, just in case the snow gets worse.

Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar